Friday, January 1, 2021

My 13th Presidential Election


[DISCLAIMER: I am not associated or affiliated with any political party (I am an American)]

Here it is, the first day of a New Year! Last night, I mentally reviewed everything that had happened since last January 1st. It was a year unlike any other in my brief sojourn in life on this planet. Primarily, it was the first year that I've spent on Twitter. I've had a private account since March of 2009, but I had never interacted with the rest of the Twitterverse until this past year. It's been an interesting experience, to say the least. Inasmuch as I tried to avoid being sucked into a social media quagmire, I spent a good portion last year Twittering about mostly nonsensical things. It was enjoyable! It was entertaining! It was amazing! It was fun! It also cut into my productivity more than I want to think about 😐


On the bright side, in spite of this soulless black hole of attention sucking, I managed to publish another novel and a humorous short story. As a homebody, the lock-down didn't affect me much, other than I missed having lunch with a couple of friends. Also on the bright side, we had the most fascinating Presidential election in which I have voted. As a former programmer, I am more interested in the process than I am in the outcome. Oh, sure, I voted in 2000 and 2004, where recounts and contested electoral votes were part of the process, but none with the dynamics of the 2020 election. It's like a Super Bowl smeared out over two months with the minute-by-minute plays yelled out by thousands of self-appointed experts. The question is, will the game play out according to the rules? Or will people want to change the rules to alter the outcome?

A process with no rules is not a process at all, but an opinion.


No comments:

Post a Comment